A “filling” or “bonding” is placed to restore tooth structure that is damaged usually from decay or fracture. We can replace old, broken-down amalgam/metal fillings with tooth-colored composite restorations to restore your teeth to a more natural look and smile. Bondings are tooth-colored restorations that are placed to restore a broken down or fractured tooth but can also be used to cosmetically enhance a smile- such as to close unwanted spaces between teeth or to reshape a tooth.
With today’s advancements, teeth can be restored with highly cosmetic, tooth-colored fillings and bondings.
Advantages of Tooth-colored fillings and Bondings:
- Tooth-colored composites are preferred by many patients because of the significantly improved cosmetics and appearance provided by their placement.
- Tooth-colored fillings are bonded to the tooth and thus seal, strengthen and restore the tooth to more of its original shape and feel.
- Bonding can greatly reduce post treatment sensitivity to cold and sweets.
- Restorations with composites require less tooth preparation than those for silver fillings, thus conserving natural tooth structure.
- Fillings can be color-matched to your teeth for a nearly undetectable restoration.
- Tooth-colored fillings can be contoured and shaped to help restore your tooth to its natural appearance.
- Bonding can be done to close gaps or spaces between teeth.
- Tooth-colored fillings promote better peace of mind because no traces of mercury are used.